Mass murder cover up – Iranian regime destroying mass gravesPublished by International Liberty Association on April 30, 2018
During the summer of 1988, the Iranian regime executed More than 30,000 political prisoners were executed extra-judicially in the summer of 1988 and buried horridly in mass graves across the country.
Since then, the families of the victims have been searching for their relatives’ resting place. The campaign calling for justice for the victims of the massacre has gained momentum.
Amnesty International published a report today called “Criminal Cover-Up – Iran Destroying Mass Graves of Victims of 1988 Killings”, in which it expressed grave concern that “by taking steps to destroy the mass grave sites of the victims of the 1988 prison killings, the Iranian authorities are destroying vital forensic evidence and depriving the victims’ families, as well as society as a whole, of their rights to truth, justice and reparation.”
Amnesty International said: “These tactics are destroying key evidence that could be used to establish the truth about the scale of the crimes and obtain justice and reparations for the victims and their families. These sites have been under constant surveillance by security agencies, which suggests that judicial, intelligence and security bodies are involved in the decision-making processes related to their desecration and destruction.”
The report said that the areas being destroyed are “crime scenes” and they need to be protected “until proper and independent forensic investigations are carried out to identify the remains and the circumstances of what happened to the victims”.